Sam amphitheater repeatedly destroyed as a result of strong earthquakes, but every time the Romans patiently restored it. Gladiatorial battles in the arena stopped it to 404, and the battle continued to collect animal viewers until the last years of the VI century. For a while the Coliseum owned noble Roman family dei Frangipani and degli Annibaldi who turned an ancient building in a fortress; but then, according to the commandment of king Arrigo VII of, it became the property of the Roman amphitheater. However, then it began to decline, and lumps of travertine - exported for the construction of the Palazzo Kancheleriya, Palazzo Venezia, Cathedral of St. Peter.. But in 1750, this robbery was stopped by decree of Benedict XIV, who declared the Coliseum holy place "for the death of Christ" many martyrs of ancient Rome.